Saturday, December 15, 2012


Service Dogs and fainting

I have posted a number of times about Dora, my amazing service dog. I have posted several times about how Dora has helped me and how I got her. Today, I thought I’d answer the two questions that top the list about Dora and service dogs for fainting and other invisible disabilities.

Why do you have a Service Dog?

Short answer: “I have a fainting disorder.”

Dora’s response to fainting:

I look perfectly normal- in fact you wouldn’t know that anything at all was wrong with me unless you saw me faint. Dora can tell when I am about to faint- she either sits down in front of me if I am walking or blocks my path. If I am in my house, she will get clingy or start acting up to get my attention. When I fall in public, I usually have time to sit down before falling down. Once I am down, she rolls me over so that I am face up, licks me, and stands guard until I am ok. Many people still freak out about the fact that Dora is standing over me until I explain that the dog is doing her job.

Over the past four years, I have seen countless cardiologist and neurologist for the fainting, tried tons of medications, done everything I could think of to little or no avail. In fact, Dora has been the best treatment- she can warn me and exercise has been known to help this condition- and dogs must be walked.

Where did you get her?

A few years ago, my father saw an article in the New York Times about a service dog who was able to alert to a fainting disorder. Once I got the idea, I began contacting organizations. Many places don’t train for fainting disorders-but I found several that were willing to help. The only problem- the wait for a fully trained service dog, even after acceptance into the program is usually between 18 months and 3 years. This is a long time. It feels even longer when you know that a dog can help you with independence. The waiting is the hardest part. The cost can be prohibitive as well. But it is worth it. I learned many things about Service Dogs and programs while waiting. If you think a service dog can help you- do your homework. Call the organizations, visit if you can. You can train your own dog as well.

Dora came from the Auburn University Vet School. I know I have posted several times about how Dora picked me. I then had her trained by a professional trainer who was willing to work with me. I couldn’t have gotten a better dog.

In fact, she has given me a new lease on life. I am no longer afraid to walk down the street alone. I’m not afraid of being kicked out of stores. I feel confident enough to have taken on a freelance tutoring job.  

In short, that service dog you see might be for the blind, it might be a seizure, diabetes or fainting alert dog. All I can say is that she is a great dog and we are a pretty good team.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment