Sunday, February 27, 2011

Worst things that can be said to Migraine patients

Here is the list of the worst things that could and have been said to Migraineurs. I would like to thank all those at Ronda's Migraine page for their generous contribtuions.


Worst things that can be said to a migraine patient:

1. Migraines, they have treatments for that now.
2. Headaches happen
3. Have you tried aspirin?
4. You shouldn't be allowed in school with migraine.
5. Get over it.
Well, at least it is not life-threatening.- from neuro
Oh, what caused THIS one?"
Have you tried seeing a different doctor?
"Have you tried researching on the internet to see how to stop them"
“That hair colour doesn't go with your complexion, you look like a whore." (I presume this comment took place with the deathly pale complexion that frequently occurs with migraine.}
"Have you heard about that new drug, imitrex?"
“Oh, I just put a smile on my face and work through it”
Drink a margarita
"Get a job and get over it!"
Your not doing enough to help yourself - Doctor at Pain Clinc.
Have you tried {insert over-the-counter drug name}? That's what I take - Said by too many people to count.
I don't like taking pain pills
He's a drug addict
Maybe if you just stop thinking about it all the time, it would go away.
"I thought bright lights helped migraines"
“I know someone who let Jesus into her life and her migraines vanished.”
"Why don't you stop being such a loner and make some friends?"
"We all get headaches...."
You always have a headache
Are you sure they are migraines?
Oh, I also have migraines (!) but I wouldn't ever take drugs, I only rub in some peppermint oil."
“ Have you taken Aleve?”
 “A headache can't possibly last 5 days!”
“ Hey at least it's not a brain tumor!”
“Come on it can't be that bad you're talking!”
“ You need to drink chamomile tea and take magnesium.”
“Your migraines make you an inconvenience to others and a detriment to society.”- said by a clergy person

4 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS!!!!!

    It is amazing how many of those I have heard, they may have differed in the names of the meds, etc., but all in all, this list is perfection.

    I have always believed that what NOT to say is easier for others to understand than WHAT TO say!! For I don't think that any of us who suffer, know what we want to hear....but we certainly know what we don't!!

    Great job!
    As always,
    Gentle Hugs----<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list. People drive me batty sometimes. God forbid they just listen and give us support.

    Glad to have found your blog. I have chronic migraines and a form of dysautonomia as well!. One my docs several years ago diagnosed me with neurocardiogenic syncope, but within the last 5 years, a doc has said I neurogenic orthostatic hypotension.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! Below are my favorite and I have heard them even from my closest friends.

    Maybe if you just stop thinking about it all the time, it would go away.

    You always have a headache.

    "Why don't you stop being such a loner and make some friends?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite is, "I take Excedrin Migraine, works like a charm!" Seriously?! On what planet?? And for what type of a REAL migraine does anything over the counter work?? HA!!
    If only people could have some compassion & understanding but it really all stems from ignorance & ignorance is bliss :) Or so they say anyway!

    ReplyDelete