Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Star

The Star: a meditation on Genesis


I swear by myself, declares the LORD, that because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, 17 I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies, 18 and through your offspring[a] all nations on earth will be blessed,[b] because you have obeyed me.” Genesis 22:16-18

The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him John 1:9-1O


I sometimes wonder if that lonely star, which shines for me,  flickers constantly?
Does it flicker when I fall, when I stray, to indicate what is happening?
When I fall, does it flash like a news bulletin or a bright emergency light?
Or does it show not what is in the physical body, but what is in the heart?
If it shows the inside- is it bright? Or dark? Can it be seen in the night sky?
Does it shine over my head night after night, a silent, unknown sentinel, who will not falter or fall, but remain despite the change?
Does the light from it have a long perilous journey?
I don’t know the answers, for they lie with the maker of the stars, who is the maker and source of us all.
I do know, that, in the shadow of that light which entered this world, and which is the light of all men, my star is dim, but it shines only because of him.
And truly it is that Light, the light that the darkness will never overcome, the light that became man, the word in flesh, who dwelt among us, and fulfilled the promise, it is that star I shall follow.
And in this dark, and perilous journey when I falter, fall, or scream, it is that light which leads me on and grants me the gift of peace, which passes all understanding. 

No comments:

Post a Comment