Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Poem: Losing a battle


I am losing the battle.
I try to stand and fight, but I fall again.
The enemy comes closer- I can feel the heat of his fiery breath.
Slowly he advances as I scramble for a weapon,
But there are no weapons near by- my sword is broken
And all the potions that keep this enemy at bay are scattered on the sand
I can do nothing except try to stand and face the enemy.
But I fall again, and again, and again,
I fear that all is lost- he is closing in for the kill
And for a moment, I want to surrender to it- to stop this pain, to sleep, to lay down my arms and rest at last, but I can’t.
I see something glimmer in the sand- buried, but within reach.
I it out and find the golden sign that conquers all.
I am able to stand again. I hit the foe. He backs down for now.
But this battle is not over. It will never end. I only know that, with the sign,
With that great sign that conquers all, just as Constantine did at Milvian Bridge, I will prevail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment