Monday, July 18, 2011

Coping mechanisms

There are many ways to cope with migraine and dysautomia/Neurocardiogenic syncope. I often get asked "How do you do it? How do you stay sane with these things?" So, I thought I would attempt to answer this question. Here is a list of my various coping mechanisms:

Reading- I am an escapist reader. I basically go into a different world while reading and it proves to be a great distraction. Mysteries, sci-fi/fantasy, and novels all help me to survive.

Friends- I have a great circle of friends and all of them are just as warped and wonderful as I am. I also take great comfort in the fact that I can call any of my good friends, at any time, and know that they understand.

The internet- I do not know what I would do without the various forums for migraine, email, and blogs to keep me sane.

Movies/ tv shows- also a good way of escaping.

Writing- as you have probably guessed, I deal with many of my problems by writing about them.

Max- I do not know what i would do without my favorite canine companion. Dogs just make things better.

Faith

Family

Positive attitude- yes, I may be on the floor, my headache can be a 9 on the pain scale, but apart from that, I am absolutely fine.

These are just a few ways of dealing with these two horrible diseases.

1 comment: