Sunday, July 8, 2012

LIVING WITH IT




Living with it

Something absolutely amazing happened in the last two weeks- three doctors and I agreed on an important subject. Basically, all of us agreed that the fainting has a huge and adverse effect on my life and that we should try to treat it while I try to live with it. The question has changed from, “what is it?” to “How do we treat it while trying to find out what it is?”

For the doctors, this doesn’t mean they aren’t looking for a cause or a more permanent treatment. This is an unusual case and the one of the few clear symptoms is sinus tachycardia every time I faint. This is not a rhythm problem and so can’t be paced. It is a symptom and it means the heart is working harder to get blood to the brain. The fact that I come tend to come around quickly is also odd, but indicates blood returns to the brain rather quickly. We also know that the constant fainting came on after a significant viral illness and probably knocked out some part of the autonomic nervous system.

For me- this indicates some changes in life. I am still searching for answers. But right now, I will continue to do what I have been doing for the last three years- living with it. It means that I will continue to do things, continue to explain it as it is. It means that life goes on and having a game plan-any game plan is helpful. 

So, with the fainting, as with the migraines, I will continue to live and live well with these disabilities. I am hoping and praying to be matched with a service dog in the fall. I look forward to the beginning of school so I can volunteer again. I am also looking into some other things. Meanwhile, I have great friends, am looking forward to meeting a nephew in the fall and it is tomato and peach season here. Days like this don’t come often, so I am going to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment