Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Poem: The Call echoes


The call echoes down through time,
The words are the same “Follow me” says the voice,
“Follow me and learn of life, despair, hope and redemption”
“Follow me and you will know me” said the still, clear voice

And so I followed, drinking of the cup of wine, eating of the bread that is life itself
And I tried to follow that voice.
I followed it to seminary, and I learned of life and of despair,
Of disease, and the strength to overcome it, of hope and bitter defeat.
I could not serve you then, for others and an unknown disease prevented me from wearing the outward signs of the ministry, I still followed. 
But though the cross grew heavy on my shoulders, and the voice seemed quiet, I knew you were leading me still. 
So I prayed and hoped and still I followed you. 
I went home, and learned more of life, of hope and of joy.
And slowly I am learning that it is not in books or schools or collars, but in defeat and hope that the voice still echoes and I still follow.
So Lord, let me follow once more, taking up the cross with the strength you have given and let me live and love you always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment