Sunday, September 11, 2011

Elegy for Jeff

This poem is written in memory of my dear friend, Jeff, survivor of 9/11 (the last man out of the first tower), father, fighter, and excellent friend. This is also for his dear son, Jack, whom he loved more than life. He did not die on 9/11, but the dust and jet fuel he breathed did not make the RSD in his chest easier to bear.


Requiem

You did not die on that fateful day,
But, it was burned into you, just as the scenes of that horrible day are burned into the minds of the nation and the world.
You were lucky- you came out from the flames that day.
And in the next eight years, you did some amazing things-
You had a son, so that your legacy might live on,
You worked your heart out.
You fought the horrific war with pain and always smiled.
Though, you were bound to a wheelchair for a while, you got up and walked.
When I saw you walk that first day- I knew for certain that I had witnessed a miracle.
You found love and friends and life again.
Unfortunately, you, who shone so brightly here on earth, were called to serve the one who made you, that you might shine brighter there, in that place where there is no more pain, where you can walk without fear, run and not be weary, and find the peace you were seeking.
The truth of the matter is, I miss you, Jeff, and I love you.
You were one of the lucky ones that fateful September morning,
But those events took a toll on you and you paid a heavy price in pain.
But I know that you are up there- watching over your old friends-  Liz, Kristy, Curt, Jack, and me- and I know that one bright, golden day, we will meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment